Christmas parade causes heavy congestion in central Helsinki

0


					
				Christmas parade causes heavy congestion in central Helsinki

Spectators and performers at the Christmas street opening on Aleksanterinkatu in Helsinki on 22 November 2025. The parade set off from Senate Square, and the Christmas lights on Aleksanterinkatu were lit at the same time. Photo: Seppo Samuli / Str / Lehtikuva

The annual opening of the Christmas season in Helsinki brought central streets to a standstill on Saturday, as thousands packed into Aleksanterinkatu to watch the traditional parade and Christmas light ceremony.

The parade began from Senate Square at 16:00 local time and followed its usual route through Aleksanterinkatu towards Mannerheimintie, continuing along Pohjoisesplanadi and Unioninkatu before returning to its starting point.

By 15:00, the crowd had already overwhelmed key sections of the route, with movement becoming nearly impossible in some areas.

Police and emergency services received multiple alerts about overcrowding, particularly near the Stockmann department store and the Citykäytävä passageway. Large groups pushed towards the street in an attempt to see the parade, with some people reporting distress, shouting, and a lack of breathable space.

Jani Aunio, Chief Inspector of the Helsinki Police, said that despite the pressure on the streets, no injuries were reported. Police units were dispatched several times to control crowd flow and prevent bottlenecks.

“There were a lot of people in a confined space. In both reported areas, officers responded quickly and cleared the situation,” said Aunio. “We estimate thousands were present, but we don’t have an exact figure yet.”

The main crowding occurred between Keskuskatu and Aleksanterinkatu, where space was already restricted due to ongoing construction. Organisers had advised people to watch the event from wider areas, such as the Three Smiths Square or along Pohjoisesplanadi, but many gathered directly at the busiest junctions.

Spectators reported scenes of frustration and panic. Some attendees, including families with young children, found themselves stuck in the crush. Observers said several children began crying as movement halted entirely near Stockmann. Others noted that prams were difficult to navigate through the crowd, with people shoulder-to-shoulder on the pavements.

The parade was led for the first time by Helsinki’s new mayor Daniel Sazonov. The event featured costumed characters, vehicles, and Santa Claus, who waved from the centre of the procession. 

By 17:30, the situation had eased in most areas. Rainfall began shortly after the parade ended, helping disperse the remaining crowd. Police reported no arrests or formal complaints.

The City of Helsinki organises the annual Christmas opening as a public event to mark the start of the festive season. It draws large crowds every year, particularly families with young children.

HT

Source: www.helsinkitimes.fi

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.