Finnish court denies release of tanker in undersea cables investigation

Lawyer Herman Ljungberg, representing the crew of the Eagle S tanker and its operator Caravella, at the Helsinki District Court on 3 January 2025. The court session addressed the release of the Eagle S oil tanker, which has been linked to cable damage in the Gulf of Finland. LEHTIKUVA
- Next Article Protesters fill Helsinki Metro demanding affordable and free public transport
A Finnish court has upheld the seizure of the oil tanker Eagle S, suspected of causing damage to critical undersea infrastructure in the Baltic Sea. The vessel, carrying Russian oil and linked to the so-called shadow fleet, will remain impounded as investigations continue.
The decision by the Helsinki District Court on Friday follows allegations that the Eagle S damaged the Estlink 2 power transmission line and four telecommunications cables between Finland and Estonia on Christmas Day.
Finnish authorities believe the tanker dragged its anchor across the seabed, severing the cables.
The tanker’s operator, United Arab Emirates-based Caravella LLC-FZ, had sought the vessel’s release. Herman Ljungberg, the lawyer representing Caravella, argued that the tanker was seized unlawfully in international waters and called for greater transparency regarding the operation.
“This court decision is disappointing, and we will file another motion to secure the release of the vessel,” Ljungberg said.
The court, however, ruled in favour of maintaining the seizure. Finnish authorities have stated that the vessel serves as critical evidence in the ongoing investigation.
Finland’s National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) is conducting a detailed probe, including underwater imaging of the damaged cables. Eight crew members—Georgian and Indian nationals—are under travel bans while being questioned as suspects.
The tanker’s cargo of 35,000 tonnes of unleaded petrol has also been seized. Finnish customs suspect the Eagle S is part of Russia’s shadow fleet—a network of ageing tankers used to circumvent international sanctions on Russian oil.
National grid operators Fingrid (Finland) and Elering (Estonia), along with telecom firms Elisa and Cinia, have filed claims demanding compensation for the damages.
The Eagle S has a documented history of safety violations. A 2023 inspection at the Port of Tema in Ghana uncovered 24 deficiencies, including critical issues with its fire alarm system, emergency power supply, and emissions compliance.
Maritime expert Markku Mylly described the ship as poorly maintained and a potential environmental hazard. “This vessel reflects the neglect typical of shadow fleet operations, where safety and maintenance take a backseat to profit,” he said.
The Finnish Defence Committee has also raised concerns about the environmental risks posed by the shadow fleet. “A spill in the Gulf of Finland could be catastrophic,” warned Committee Chair Jukka Kopra.
The incident has heightened concerns about the security of undersea infrastructure in the Baltic Sea, a region already on alert due to past cases of suspected sabotage. NATO has pledged to increase its presence in the area to deter further threats.
Vice-Chair of the Defence Committee Mikko Savola admitted that Finland had been “naïve” in its approach to protecting critical infrastructure. Efforts are now underway to ensure the locations of pipelines and cables are less accessible to the public.
The investigation into the Eagle S is expected to take months, with Finnish authorities emphasising the need for a thorough examination of evidence.
HT
- Next Article Protesters fill Helsinki Metro demanding affordable and free public transport
Source: www.helsinkitimes.fi